Switchboards are the heart of any electrical installation, they protect the circuits within the property and act as a central point for servicing, repairs and fault finding and are vital to the safety of property and personal. Many of us will go years without even thinking about the switchboard and that’s a problem.
Your switchboard is the hub of your home electrical system, ensuring electricity goes where it’s needed, as it’s needed.
How do I know if I need a switchboard upgrade?
A switchboard upgrade can remove your ageing board and replace it with a modern switchboard designed for the energy demands of modern homes, and one that is far safer and offers much easier functionality.
But can you tell if you need to install a new switchboard? There are a few signs to look out for.
- Your lights flicker
- You have an older home, and aren’t sure about the age of the switchboard
- Your appliances occasionally short circuit
- It looks like the wiring is too crowded around the board
- The board makes noises, such as a buzzing sound
- Your power outlets sometimes shock you when you plug things in
- Your power outlets sometimes spark when you plug things in
- You have porcelain fuses
- You have an old black backing board (known as ACM backing boards)
- You don’t have RCD protection
- You have old wiring in behind the switchboard
If you have noticed any of these incidences, it’s reason enough to get in touch with a qualified electrician. At the very least, you can have your switchboard checked out for peace of mind, although they may recommend upgrading your switchboard for safety.
Let Lite Energy upgrade your switchboard
Lite Energy offers reliable, qualified electricians in Wellington who can inspect and upgrade your switchboard as needed. We are experienced in dealing with the older switchboards present in many homes and businesses in the region, and can make the transition as quick and painless as possible.